Blueberry Scones

Saturday 3 October 2009





I picked up some beautiful little blueberries yesterday at my local shop that were quite tiny in size and for once they didn't come from Poland! Not that I am against Poland per se, but I do like to use British Ingredients whenever I can. These ones came from Surrey.



They were almost as small as the wild blueberries from back home and I knew just the perfect thing to make with them.



My delicious Blueberry scones.

They went down fabulous with this lovely green tea.



*Blueberry Scones with Lemon Drizzle Icing*
Makes 8
Printable Recipe

These lovely scones are tender and moist and oh so very delicious. Chock full of blueberries and covered with a lucious lemon drizzle icing these are pleasing on all levels. Use only fresh blueberries in these as frozen ones will bleed and spoil the look of this lovely scone.

225g plain flour (1 3/4 cups)
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS caster sugar
5 TBS cold, unsalted butter
250ml of double cream (1 cup plus 2 TBS)
8 ounces fresh blueberries, toss with 1 TBS flour (1/2 pound berries)
Lemon Drizzle:
4 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1/2 cup)
280g of icing sugar, sifted (2 cups)
1 TBS unsalted butter



Pre-heat the oven to 200*C/400*F. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a bowl. Whisk together to combine. Add the cold butter and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and dump in the cream all at once. Stir with a fork just to combine, without overworking the dough. You may need a bit more cream. The dough should be soft, but not sticky, nor crumbly. Fold in the blueberries, leaving any excess flour out. Gently mix them in without crushing them.

Pat the dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 12 by 3 1/2 inch rectangle, about 1 inch thick. Cut into 4 equal squares, and then cut each square diagonally into even triangles. You should have 8. Place onto a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven to a wire rack to cool somewhat before glazing.

To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar into a microwave proof bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice and stir to melt the sugar. Add the butter and place in the microwave. heat for 30 to 45 seconds on high. Whisk again to smooth out any lumps and then drizzle decoratively over the warm scones. Let set before serving. Delicious!!

16 comments

  1. Wow that tea is so cool! You're right, just like a flower basket :) The scones are equally gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those scones look perfect, i love blueberries, i bet they go well with the lemon flavour too.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite teas:) I have been a fan for years.They go so well with your scones~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen teas like that! I'll have to look out for it the next time I'm at an Asian market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. simply BEAUTIFUL post.
    i love scones.
    i love tea.
    this is the perfect post for me.

    oh my gosh, that rhymes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of sweet in my tea, but whenever I drink some jasmine green tea, I drink it plain. The scent is calming and intoxicating....I don't want to ruin it with sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this recipe. It will be on our breakfast table in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These Marie are awesome and delicious, so nice, I love them, xxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....and so beauty cup of Tea, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - these look delicious! I made scones for the first time last week. I froze a bunch and have been enjoying them throughout the week. Delicious! But the recipe I had did not include butter. I'm sure butter makes everything taste better...ill try these very soon! :-) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are the most beautiful scones ever, Marie! I love the hint of lemon...mmm... And such lovely tea, such elegance...Oh, I'd love to be having a cuppa with you now, my friend. :o) ((BIGHUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH! I've got a glass teapot, a gift from my BIL last year. To be honest I'm not sure I fancy drinking those kind of teas but I bet they are pretty.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. these look delightful! and so pretty!
    -Mini Baker :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Choi Time teas are an absolute favourite of mine and has replaced the daily coffees I used to have. The taste is light and refreshing, and the best thing is you can refill your glass all day using the same bulb, which means great value as well. They make a healthy alternative to other hot drinks or black tea, and are a great gift too. My friends love their Choi Time tea as much as I do now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I drink the jasmine pearls every day too. Makes such a refreshing and healthy change from the coffee I used to drink daily. I am totally addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I randomly found this blog, and made these scones last week. My family loved them and said this is the best scone recipe I've baked to date! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I'll be baking up another batch soon to share with my grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!