Cheese and Bacon Scones

Tuesday 11 January 2011



One thing that I always do when I am frying bacon, is to fry extra. It just makes sense. If I am going to to the trouble and the mess . . . why not fry the whole pack instead of just a few slices.



The extra gets carefully wrapped and sealed in a zip lock bag and then frozen so that I have already cooked bacon to hand anytime I may need it. Why pay premium prices for already cooked bacon in the shops when you don't need to.



Cooked bacon is so handy to have in the freezer. Ready for sprinkling on salads, or casseroles . . . the perfect addition to grilled cheese on toast . . . chopped and sprinkled over pizzas . . . or chopped and stirred into these moreishly scrumptious savoury scones!!!



Crunchy on the outside and so soft and flakey on the insides . . . all buttery and stogged full of strong cheddar cheese and . . . lovely bacon. As we all know . . . everything tastes better with bacon! (Peanut butter, cheese, chocolate . . . even jam. Try it some time. You'll see I am right!)



These tasty scones are the perfect addition to a soup meal . . . or with a hearty stew. Great for breakfast . . . on their own or with an egg, scrambled or otherwise. Try making your own breakfast sandwich using these. Just fry an egg (or two) and sandwich them between one of these lovely scones, after having split and toasted it.

Oh man . . . sooooo good! Your husband will love you even more than he does now. I guarantee! They do say the secret way to a man's heart is through the stomach . . .



*Cheese and Bacon Scones*

Makes 15 to 20, depending on how big you cut them
Printable Recipe

Scrumdiddlyumpitiously savoury. Perfect with some sliced ham or cheese, or both. You can vary the spiciness of them by adjusting the amount of cayenne used.

16 ounces (1 pound) plain flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 level tsp of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp salt
1 ounce of cold butter, cubed (2 TBS)
4 ouces bacon, grilled and finely chopped with a sharp knife, or
in the food processor
4 ounces strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 medium free range egg
375ml of sour milk or buttermilk (1 2/3 cup)

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Dust a large baking sheet lightly with flour. Set aside.

Sift the flour, soda, cayenne pepper and salt into a large bowl. Drop in the butter and then rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine dry bread crumbs. Stir in the bacon and cheese.

Whisk together the egg and milk.

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix to a soft dough with your hand by running it around the bowl. Try not to knead it as this will develop the gluten which will toughen the scones. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. (The dough will be quite sticky) Pat out with floured hands until you get a square 3/4 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut it into 15 to 20 squares. (Alternately you can cut them out with a sharp knife or a 2 inch round cutter) Place onto the floured baking sheet leaving about 2 inches between each.

Bake for 10 to 14 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Allow to cool on a wire rack.

15 comments

  1. What a delicious breakfast for those days when you're on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The aroma of bacon and sweet smells are wafting across The English Channelto me in Holland! I'm hungry. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A triumph!! We're going to love these.

    I had never thought of your tip about freezing cooked bacon - clever. And so blinking stare-you-in-the-face obvious. How dense am I?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea cooked bacon could be frozen. Great tip, thanks ;0)
    Fab looking scones too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie, this sounds delish! My son is coming over today and I promised him Scone Based Pizza, it uses self rising flour, simple scone recipe. Do you think this would work for it? Sounds like it'd be extra tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read your recipe ..parts of it to Jacques..I love bacon..the smell of it cooking all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yummy - you can't beat a good cheese scone.
    I've given you an award, please visit my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh! Three of my favorite foods -- old cheddar, bacon and scones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks great especially the one that got cut. i think i'm gonna love these savoury scones. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks a million for the freezing cooked bacon idea - I always keep a few rashers of raw bacon in there, because they are easy to cook from frozen - much better idea to just freeze them cooked!

    Love these scones!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I know a bunch o' grandsons who'd love this recipe... and my son too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Made these for a crowd when I was responsible for breakfast on a skiing weekend. They were wonderful with scrambled eggs which I also did according to your directions (smooth, creamy, "ribbons" of egg). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad they were a hit Kim! I aim to please! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just baked some of these and they are gorgeous! I used regular milk as it was all I had in and they came out fine (although the dough was VERY sticky and I was worried for a while!). Thanks for sharing this recipe, not usually a fan of savoury scones but cheese and bacon... Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!