Posh, Egg, Chips and Beans

Monday 21 December 2009



Well, we ventured out in the snow and ice this morning to go to church. It was our Christmas Service so I didn't really want to miss it if I could help it. The roads were pretty terrible, but I reckon about half the congregation was there, so that wasn't too bad.



It did take us a really long time to get home though. What is it about people and adverse weather conditions. They think that they can drive the same way that they normally do . . . no matter that the roads are snow and ice covered and slip, slip, slippery.



We had to make our way around two accidents to get home. Police, ambulances etc. It took us twice as long, and really, it made us kind of nervous as well . . . so we drove really slow.



Never mind . . . we got here in the end. We were starving. Much too hungry to spend too much time cooking a big meal of anything. Quick and easy was the order of the day, but it often is on Sundays . . .



The carol service is canceled for tonight. Guess we'll just have to make do with Songs of Praise . . .



That's ok. We like Songs of Praise.
Especially at Christmas.




*Posh Egg, Chips and Beans*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

Quick, easy and oh so tasty.

1/2 kg of floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 TBS olive oil
1 ounce butter
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
3 to 4 fresh sage leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 large eggs
1 425g tin of beans in tomato sauce
Buttered bread

Place the potatoes into some salted boiling water. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, until they are just cooked through, but not falling apart. In the meantime heat a large skillet and add the olive oil and the butter, along with the garlic and sage leaves. Once the potatoes are cooked, scoop out of the water with a slotted spoon, allowing any excess water to drip off and place directly into the pan with the garlic and sage. Increase the heat and cook, browning and stirring, until golden browned all over. Don't burn the garlic. Decrease the heat, season with some salt and black pepper. Create two holes in the middle of the potatoes and crack in the two eggs. Season with some salt and cook, until set. If you prefer, you can cover the pan with a lid so that the whites set over the yolks. In the meantime heat the beans in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. When the eggs are ready, divide equally amongst two heated plates and serve hot along with some beans and buttered bread. Enjoy!

10 comments

  1. Oh, YUM! This sounds delicious right now! (It's almost 10 pm!) Been nibbling on toffe & cookies, so I didn't eat much for dinner--now I'm REALLY hungry!

    Glad you got to church okay--be careful out there! I hope you're enjoying a cozy, stay-at-home week this week...that's our plan! Much love to you at this beautiful Christmas time, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect breakfast for a cold Sunday morning! I never thought to cook the eggs amongst the potatoes and it's such a good idea.

    Love the monk eggs cups....too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat that right NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious... perfect comfort food for a frosty winter-y day! I could eat some now! Pass the HP Sauce, please. ;o) LOVE YOU, Marie ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. The egg cups got me too:) That looks like a breakfast that would keep me all day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Espectacular. Aquí es dificil conseguir una lata de frijoles con tomate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely egg cups. I had a good laugh with them. Your recipe today reminds me of my typical breakfast on my numerous past visits to London. I really could use a plate of that right now. I just noticed how you have that convenient like to print the recipes. Thank you for that, makes it so easy to print. Hope you enjoy a warm and cozy day today.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your wee egg cups! the posh egg and chips looks like just the kind of meal I could happily tuck into right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look delicious Marie, absolutely delicious, hugsss!!!! gloria

    The eggs look fantatsic, hehe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!