Gratin of Jerusalem Artichokes

Tuesday 2 March 2010



The Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus), also called the sunroot or sunchoke or earth apple or topinambur is actually a species of sunflower widely cultivated across temperate zones for it's edible tuber, which is commonly used as a root vegetable.



They are somewhat ugly, all knobbly and foreign looking, but we think that they are absolutely delicious in this kitchen. They do seem to be a bit of a problem for some people though, in that they can cause wind, but we think they are well worth any discomfort they may cause to you, or those around you . . .



especially if they have eaten them as well. 'nuff said.

High in Potassium and Iron they are very good for you.



They also make an incredibly delicious soup and a most fabulous gratin.



*Gratin of Jerusalem Artichokes*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

Sweet, nutty and delicious, Jerusalem artichokes make a wonderfully rich gratin.

500g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced
lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
250ml of milk
250ml of boiling water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated nutmeg
300ml of double cream
50g of Gruyere cheese, grated



Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Add some lemon juice to a bowl of water and drop the artichoke slices into it as you peel and slice them to help prevent them from discolouring.

Rub one of the garlic cloves all around a small gratin dish. Bring the milk and water to a boil together. Drop in the artichoke slices. Season well with salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg. Simmer gently for 6 to 8 minutes. They should not quite be tender, and still have a bit of a bite.

Drain and then transfer them to the baking dish. Bring the cream and both of the garlic cloves to the boil. Strain it over the artichokes. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned and bubbling away.

Psstt!!! I'm going to be out of town for several days. I'm off to Chester seeking a new home and employment opportunities. (redundancy sucks . . . ) Anyways, I have set up a few posts to show up sporadically while I am away so do pop back to see what I've gotten up to, and try not to miss me too awfully much!

12 comments

  1. That sounds delicious...I wish I could taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We already miss you too awfully much, Marie! Hurry back to us, please! Hope you find exactly what you need in Chester--the perfect fit for your new home....I know that you will!

    Can't wait to hear what you've found--what new opportunities, experiences & friends await...! How exciting!

    Much love to you tonight, as always. My thoughts and prayers and with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these chokes and will surely try this. We will miss you and wish you much good luck in your search. Change can be a surprisingly good thing
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie I love Jerusalem artichokes, delicious recipe dear, huggs have a nice day, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the job hunt. We'll miss your daily posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerusalem artichokes, I'm a fan! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your job hunting. I really enjoy using your recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. we adore artichokes and will enjoy this recipe.

    thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had these as I did not know how to prepare them. Now I will specifically look for artichokes as I want to try this.

    Good luck house and job hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like artichokes very much but I don’t believe I have ever had the Jerusalem variety. Anything au gratin is a winner in out kitchen. Good luck on the job search! I was born in Chester but not England , Chester Pennsylvania in USA .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know I have never tried artichoke - I must do something about this soon - and this recipe looks YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure the Universe has some exciting things in store for you dear Marie. Keep focussed on all the special talents & skills you have, I've no doubt they will be wanted by many! Thinking of you.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!