Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices

Monday 11 April 2011



As you know on Sundays by the time we get home from church we are starving. I just don't have the energy to make a Sunday lunch so we usually have something quick . . . unless I've had enough forethought to bang something into the slow cooker in the morning . . . and today was not one of those days . . . today was a spaghetti on toast day.



Tis not a problem though, coz Todd knows that later on in the afternoon, when I get my energy back I'll be baking him something scrummy for a late supper. Sometimes it's just bread and jam, but most time it's a real treat for him to enjoy.




The other day when I was re-organizing my kitchen cupboards I discovered that I had no less than 4 packets of dried dates. It's a good thing we love dates! No surprise then, that today I baked something to use up some of those dates . . .



Oh sure I could have made some Sticky Toffee Cake or an equally as scrummy pan of Date and Lemon Scones . . . orrrrrrr even a yummy Date and Nut Loaf. I did none of those things . . . .



Instead I made these deliciously scrummy Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices! I just adore pistachio nuts! I really, really do! Imagine a finger of buttery pastry, just stogged full of a yummy Date & Pistachio filling, and glazed with honey . . . yummo scrummo!!



They may not photograph well, but boy oh boy . . . they sure more than make up for that in taste. If you like Dates, Pistachios and Honey . . . if you like sweet butter pastry . . . then these little babies are for YOU!

Seriously . . . make them NOW!



*Date, Pistachio & Honey Slices*
Makes 12 slices
Printable Recipe

Lovely buttery fingers filled with scrummy dates, honey and crunchy pistachio nuts. Oh-so-moreishly delish!

For the filling:
250g of stone dates (a generous 1/2 pound), chopped
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS water
3 ounces pistachio nuts, chopped (a generous half cup)
1 TBS clear honey

For the pastry:
8 ounces plain flour (a scant 2 cups)
1 ounce caster sugar (about 2 TBS)
5 1/2 ounces butter (1/2 cup plus 3 TBS)
4 to 5 TBS cold water

To finish:
milk to glaze
1 TBS clear honey

Place the dates, lemon juice, and water into a saucepan. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the chopped nuts and honey. Set aside to cool.

Place the flour, sugar and butter into a food processor. Pulse until you have fine crumbs. Mix in just enough water to give you a soft dough. You don't want it to be sticky. Roll out half of the pastry on a lightly floured board to a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle. Place on a baking sheet. Spread the date/nut mixture on top of this to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Roll out the remaining half of the pastry to fit and place on top. Press to seal the edges all the way around. Trim the edges square and then brush with some milk to glaze. Mark into 12 slices.

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6. Bake the slice for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown. Brush the warm slice with the remaining honey and then remove to cool on a wire rack. Cut into 12 individual slices along the marks you made previously. Store in an airtight container and serve as a nice treat with your cuppa or pack into lunch boxes. Always scrummily welcome!

7 comments

  1. Oh yum they look fantastic. I love the sweet stickyness of dates. They remind me of a English style baklava with the dates, nuts and honey. delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness they look wonderful. Perfect for afternon tea with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how these are cut. They look deliciously moist and tender- can't wait to try them! Thanks for all of the cooking inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Date, pistachio, honey...I'll take al of that! ;o) mmm... these look so good, and so prettily cut too. Happy Day, dear Marie--love you lots! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dates are so good - these pastries look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! So creative and perfect for a luncheon dessert or tea time treat!! Well done, Marie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely recipe. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!