Stir Up Spicy Rice Supper

Thursday 29 September 2011



I'm sure I would get no argument if I was to say that the price of food has been going up incredibly over the last six months or so. The same groceries that used to cost me £70 are now costing me closer to £100 . . . and I am having to really pick and choose very carefully what I purchase and cook.



This also means that I am relying on my store cupboard a lot more often. Living on a fixed income as we do, there is not a lot of spare cash around and most weeks we barely squeak by.



It's been nice having the garden this summer with all the fruit and veg, which has helped a lot and next year we plan on growing more and making less mistakes than we did this year with certain things.



The other night I threw together this really tasty meal with a piece of smoked sausage that I had in the fridge, the remains of a jar of tomato chutney, a packet of rice and a few other odds and sods and it was really, really tasty! So tasty in fact that I decided to share it with you all.



Don't you love it when you can throw together this and that and come up with something moreishly scrumptious?? I do. And . . . the leftovers the next day for lunch were even tastier than they had been the night before! Nom! Nom! It won't get any awards for looks, but I give it 10 out of 10 for flavour!



*Stir Up Spicy Rice Supper*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

This is just something that I threw together one night and it ended up being really delicious!

1 (227g) packet of smoked sausage, chopped
(I used the low fat one, it works out to about 2 cups chopped sausage)
1 green pepper, trimmed and chopped
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
150g punnet of button mushrooms, sliced (about 2 cups)
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 (250g) packet of Tilda plain basamati precooked rice (about 2 cups of cooked rice)
salt and black pepper to taste
3 dessert spoons of tomato chutney (in North America, can use Heinz Chili Sauce)
1 tsp mild chili powder
2 ounces of grated Parmesan Cheese, divided (1/2 cup)

Heat a non stick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or brush with a bit of oil. Add the chopped sausage, peppers, celery, onions and mushrooms. Cook and stir until the sausage is beginning to brown a bit and the onion, peppers, celery and mushrooms are crispy tender. Stir in the rice, tomato chutney, chili powder and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep stirring and heat through. Stir in half of the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the remainder over top and serve.

Note - If you wanted to be even more economical you could use leftover chicken or pork, and leftover cooked rice in this with equally as tasty results!



Over in The Cottage today, a delicious Applesauce Spice Cake!

8 comments

  1. I love this approach and have some similar recipes in my new book "300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes" you can see it here: www.thesweetandsourchronicles.com or find it on Amazon. Keep the grains coming! Chef Katie Chin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Shopping is pretty expensive now, I am shocked every time I get to the check out.

    Best of luck with your fruit and vegetables for next year! I live in a flat right now but can't wait to have a garden to grow loads of food in, I'm jealous ;-)

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree about the soaring price of everyday groceries- particularly 'staple' items, such as butter. What a great storecupboard meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have seen you w/ a B & B:) Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I go to the grocery lately, all the prices seem to be higher than the week before. Thanks for this thrifty and tasty looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This meal look delicious dear Marie, other delicious recipe! xxxxgloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. A thrifty meal that looks VERY tasty Marie! Prices in France are even worse ~ we are now the poor cousins over here, it is terrible. Half a trolley of food that would be £40 in the UK costs us €70 - 80 here.....shocking.
    Looks lovely.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. With Covid and supply problems, I'm finding that food has become quite expensive and lots of things are hard to get. We've had to adjust our eating to what is available.

    I love a dish like this and it was truly very tasty. There's no such thing as precooked rice here, but it was easy enough to cook some up for this. I added a tin of artichoke hearts (chopped), some chickpeas and some smoked paprika for that bit of smokiness. It's that kind of dish where you can mix and match and I really like that.

    We enjoyed ours with a Summer Spanish Salad (Pipirrana) on the side.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!