Simple Sesame Noodles

Wednesday 4 April 2012



I am a pasta lover extraordinaire!!! Seriously. I kid you not. I will eat pasta in just about any way, shape or form. Cold. Hot. Sauced or not. It doesn't matter to me. I've even been known to pig out on a bowl of pasta with no garnish other than butter, salt and pepper . . . and it's been absolutely glorious.



I also happen to be married to a pasta hater extraordinaire! Proof positive that opposites attract, I am sure. One of the reasons the Toddster balks at visiting Italy is because he hates Italian food. It's no good for me to reassure him that Italians eat a lot more than just pasta and pizza . . . he has that idea firmly entrenched in his brain. Italian Food = Pasta + Pizza and he hates both.



Occasionally though, I do have to feed my desire for something pasta-like, anything pasta-like and today was the day. I had seen a noodle similar to this somewhere on the web in recent days and do you think I could find the recipe??? Of course not! I know I even had it printed out somewhere, but it's buried in my craft room, amidst a bazillion other print outs. *blush* I know . . . I'm completely incorrigible. I often make a note of recipes to make at a future date, only to never find them again . . . am I alone in this??? Please tell me I'm not!



Today, I hazarded a guess today at what might have gone into these delicious noodles based on what I remembered in my head and the end result was quite, quite delicious. Scrummy even and purely, simply . . . satisfying.



I made Todd a ham sandwich, which he was very grateful for. I gave up on trying to eat with the chopsticks, however . . . . I can't deal with chopsticks, no matter how elegant oriental folks look eating with them. I don't . . . look elegant that is . . . I just look very hungry and getting nowhere.



I was happy. Todd was happy . . . and the only penance he had to pay for my indulgence was having to smell my garlicky sesamy spring oniony breath for the remainder of the day.



Meh!! C'est la vie! (as the French would say) Cosi va il mondo! (Italian) or in British terminology "Deal with it!!" (Do British accents make people sound smarter??? I dunno!)



*Simple Sesame Noodles*
Serves 4 (recipe can be easily doubled)
Printable Recipe

Simply scrummy. No more need be said.

1/2 pound (8 ounces weight) of thin uncooked noodles, such as spaghettini, linguine, vermichelli etc.
(You want a noodle that is quite floppy if you know what I mean, fluid)

For the sauce:
30ml of dark soy sauce (about 2 TBS)
1 TBS caster sugar
2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and finely minced
1 TBS white rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 TBS toasted sesame oil
hot chili oil to taste
2 TBS light sunflower oil

Additonally you will need:
2 spring onions, sliced thinly on the diagonal

Place all of the sauce ingredients into a jar with a lid. Affix the lid tightly and give them a shake until well amalgamated. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, according to the package directions. Drain well once done and return to the pan. Give the sauce in the jar another good shake. Pour over the warm noodles, and toss to coat. Add the spring onions and toss again.

Serve warm. (These are also excellent served cold as a salad with some shredded cooked chicken or pork, or cooked baby shrimps added.)

9 comments

  1. Ooo I just bought some shrimp today and I'm totally making these noodles tomorrow to go with em. Love it.. Sometimes the simpler the ingredients the better! Looj forward to trying your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo I just bought some shrimp today and I'm totally making these noodles tomorrow to go with em. Love it.. Sometimes the simpler the ingredients the better! Looj forward to trying your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum, and the shrimp sound like a great addition too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One pasta lover to another, the noodles look awesome! Can't wait to try them - alone - because I'm the only one in my home who eats pasta. I'm thankful for Pinterest or I wouldn't be able to find any of the great recipes (like yours) that I find on the internet. Thanks, Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks looks delish, cant wait to try it....always love everything you post.
    Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the asian take on pasta, and how simple this is! I liek adding some grated ginger when I make noodles like this too (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these noodles, Marie! I make something similar when I can get hold of Japanese noodles--like udon or such. I love pasta anyway too... I can't imagine life without it. Todd doesn't know what he's missing. ;o) Happy Easter to you both--LOVE YOU's LOTS ((HUG))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Esperanza love these nodles Marie!!xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!