Grandpa's Mac & Cheese

Tuesday 19 February 2013

  photo SAM_4970_zpsde8cc98d.jpg

You have just got to love Pinterest for all of the inspiration that it provides.   I think a person could very easily get swallowed up in it for a couple of hours or longer every day if they let themselves.  There is no end to ideas for cooking, or decorating or crafting . . .

 photo SAM_4972_zps5ddc607c.jpg

There is lotsa lotsa eye candy to go around depending on what it is you are looking for.   I'm usually looking at the decorating or the food . . . occasionally other things.   I love to look at the flowers and the animals too.  So pretty and so cute.

  photo SAM_4973_zps318ea8e2.jpg

I have a whole pasta board on Pinterest, which is kind of funny, especially considering the Toddster hates pasta.   I do torture him with it from time to time though . . . but he suffers it silently, because he knows I will make up for it by baking him a pie or something.  I found this delicious looking recipe on there the other day for something called Grandpa's Mac and Cheese.   The link didn't go to the proper page, but I did hunt the recipe down and managed to find it here.   It seemed like a good basic recipe that you could work from . . . you know me, I like to charge things up a bit if I can.

  photo SAM_4975_zpsbb71f3fb.jpg

And so I did.   I used cream cheese instead of Quark.  (They are basically the same thing, except cream cheese is a bit richer and more fattening.)   I added a crunchy topping, and I added some Gouda Cheese along with the cheddar.

 photo SAM_4976_zps3450cb2f.jpg

It was very, very good, and even the Toddster had two bowls full . . . (Me thinks he doth protest too much sometimes!).  I couldn't make myself eat two bowls of anything I didn't like . . . but

 photo SAM_4977_zpsd022b58d.jpg

Apparently he can, which just goes to prove you can drag a horse to water, and make it drink if you just persevere.

 photo SAM_4971_zpsc6261d62.jpg

*Grandpa's Mac & Cheese*
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

A delicious and simple version of Mac & Cheese that is a great mid week winter warmer and something the whole family will love.

8 ounces of whole wheat macaroni (1/2 pound)
1 (125g) package of cream cheese (1/2 cup)
5 ounces extra strong cheddar cheese, grated coarsely
2 ounces grated Gouda cheese
1 (10 oz) tin of condensed tomato soup (such as Campbells)
1 soup tin of whole milk
salt, pepper and parsley flakes to taste
to top:
a handful of crushed garlic croutons
a couple TBS of salad onion crispies (Durkees French fried onions in North America)
a couple TBS of bacon bits

  photo SAM_4979_zpsdfe21c45.jpg


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter an 8 inch square casserole dish.  Set aside. 

Cook the macaroni according to package directions, in lightly salted water, cutting the cook time down by about a third.  Drain well and then return to the pot.  Stir in the cream cheese and allow it to melt.  Stir in the tomato soup, milk and 3/4 of the grated cheese.  Season to taste with salt, pepper and parsley.  Pour into the prepared casserole dish.

Stir together the topping ingredients.  Scatter the remainder of the cheese over top of the pasta.  Sprinkle with the topping. 

Bang into the heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.  Let stand for 10  minutes before serving.  A salad goes nicely with this.

Note:  If you wanted to you could use herb and garlic cream cheese for additional flavour.

4 comments

  1. It doth look yummy! In Texas we'll have a hot day, yesterday 78*f, and today a north wind will blow making the temps drop into the 60's. So this recipe is good for the days inbetween. I'll try it. Thanks, Marie, xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm, this really looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!