Lemon Drops

Saturday 25 May 2013



If you are like me . . . there will always be a jar of lemon curd, homemade or not . . . lurking about the cupboard somewhere, or in the fridge . . . or maybe even under the bed. (shhh . . . don't tell)



Just waiting for your spoon to dip into it . . . umm . . . for medicinal purposes you understand. In Grade 7 history I learned that citrus fruits was necessary for those hardy sailors on their journey discovering the new world to eat . . . helping to prevent them from getting scurvy on the long trip over . . . ahem . . .



God forbid anyone in my family ever suffer from a fate such as this . . . why . . . the mere thought of such a thing strikes fear into my heart . . .




That's why I have lemons and lemon curd on hand at all times! (Would I lie?)



Besides . . . however would I make these tasty little cookies without having some lemon curd to hand. Now that my friends is a fate not to be trifled with . . . (no pun intended)



Imagine buttery short textured biscuits with just the hint of crinkle . . . redolent of tart lemon and orange zests . . . with a tangy sweet jammy centre of baked lemon curd . . . all topped with the delicious crunch of toasted almonds . . .



Every bite is bliss . . . of course! And . . . we'll be preventing the scurvy from ever taking hold at Casa de Rayner!!!




*Lemon Drops*
Makes 20
Printable Recipe

These are soft and cake-like, and wonderfully tangy with orange and lemon zest. A sweet filling of lemon curd with the added crunch of flaked almonds make the perfect finish!

6 ounces unsalted butter, room temperature
(3/4 cup)
5 ounces caster sugar
(3/4 cup superfine)
the finely grated zest of one lemon and one orange
2 large free range egg yolks
(Freeze the whites in an ice cube tray to use at another time)
2 ounces ground almonds
(1/2 cup)
8 ounces self raising flour
(2 cups)
lemon curd
milk for brushing
flaked almonds for sprinkling
sifted icing sugar (optional)

Preheat the oven to 160*C/325*F/ Gas mark 3. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Rub the citrus zests into the sugar until very fragrant. Add the butter and cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks. Stir in the almonds and flour, mixing in well. Divide the mixture into 20 pieces and shape each into a ball between your palms. Place, evenly spaced, on the prepared baking sheets. Using the handle of a wooden spoon make a deep depression in the centre of each. Fill each centre with 1/2 tsp of lemon curd. Pinch the opening semi closed to almost cover the curd. Brush the tops with some milk and then sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until a pale golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.

If you like you can dust with a bit of icing sugar to serve. Delicious!

5 comments

  1. Wonderful...I love lemon :D..very nice blog, you can visit mine also..there you can find italian recipies.

    http://provadelcuoco.blogspot.it/

    See you Soon

    AgoChef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post as usual! Lovely pictures and making me want to hit the kitchen! I love reading your blog so much.

    rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks AgoChef! I'll be over,to visit you soon! I am still in Canada at the moment and don't have a lot of,time,for,blog,hopping!

    Rachel, that is so sweet of you! I'll be over to visit you when I get back from Canada as well!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made these this morning, because I love lemon curd, but was a bit disappointed - the mixture was far too wet to shape into balls and even when I added more flour to make it workable, it still wouldn't hold a hole to put the curd in!

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what went wrong with yours Paula? Are you in North America? I did not have that problem at all, as you can see. I am totally perplexed! Perhaps your butter was too soft? Did you try chilling the mixture?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!