White Chocolate, Sour Cherry and Cardamom Scrolls

Friday 10 May 2013



When I was a girl, my mother often made us Cinnamon Rolls for a treat . . . not the yeast kind, mind you . . . but the kind made with scone dough. Easy peasy lemon squeasy, and no waiting for the dough to rise and all that faff! We loved them.



What we loved even more was the name my father had for them . . . "Pets de Nonne", or translated into English . . . "Nun's Farts." I know, terribly rude . . . but to a child quite hilarious, bringing us no end of giggles. As Todd would say . . . typical Canadian humour . . . n'est ce pas?



Anyways, they were delicious regardless to the name and we would scarf them down in no time. I often made them for my own children as well . . . but we called them . . . Cinnamon Rolls. 'Nuff said.



Today I got to thinking what if I filled them with something different. I had some white chocolate chips and I have tons of sour cherries and so I decided to combine the two . . . I didn't think cinnamon would be that good with them though . . .



Not that it would taste really bad . . . but I wanted something moreishly different . . . something that would smell just as enticing while they were baking, but that would perfectly enhance the sweetness of the white chocolate and the tartness of the sour cherries.



Ground Cardamom. PERFECT!!

Easy peasy, lemon squeasy and every bit as delicious as the originals . . . and maybe even more so . . . well, all depending on what kind of mood you are in at any rate! I dare say dried blueberries would also be very scrummy done this way! Oh and Dried Strawberries would be just gorgeous with the cardamom!




*White Chocolate, Sour Cherry and Cardamom Rolls*
Makes 12
Printable Recipe

These smell heavenly when they are baking and are scrummy yummy!

8.5 ounces plain flour (2 cups)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 ounces white shortening (1/3 cup)
6 ounces milk

To fill:
3 TBS softened butter
3 3/4 ounces soft light brown sugar (1/2 cup, packed)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
6 ounces white chocolate chips (1 cup)
3 ounces of dried sour cherries, chopped (1/2 cup packed)

To glaze:
4 ounces of icing sugar, sifted
milk

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 7. Butter a baking sheet. Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add enough of the milk to make a soft dough. You may not need it all. Turn out onto a floured board and knead several times. Pat out into a 12 by 8 inch rectangle.

Spread with the softened butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over top. Sprinkle the cardamom evenly over top. Scatter the chocolate chips and cherries over top. Roll up as for a jelly roll from the long side, rolling it tightly and sealing the edges. Slice into 12 even slices with a sharp knife. Place cut side down onto the baking sheet, leaving space in between each one.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until well risen and lightly browned. Remove from the oven. Whisk together the icing sugar and enough milk to make a smooth drizzle. Drizzle this over the warm rolls. Serve warm. Delicious!

Note - If you haven't got any in make sure you go out and buy a couple of hot cross bun loafs today or cinnamon raisin loafs! You won't want to miss out on the recipe I am posting tomorrow! Perfect for an Easter morning breakfast!

4 comments

  1. Hi Marie, I had to close my face book, hope all is going smoothly, thinking of you, this recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of you and your mom every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh these look out of this world scrumptious, I've bookmarked them and I"m making them when there's nobody in the house and I can eat them all myself!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for giving us Yanks the measurements in cups. When will we ever go metric??

    These look devilishly good. The sour cherries are my weakness. Pairing them w white chocolate and peppery cardamom is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!