Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Sunday 2 June 2013

 Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

 I had two months of my cooking magazines waiting for me to devour when I arrived home on Friday. (Thank you Toddster for keeping them safe for me.)  Oodles of deliciousness to peruse.

I have subscribed to Good Food magazine since I moved over here almost 14 years ago and it remains one of my favourites.  When I saw this lovely looking cake on the June cover . . . I knew right away that this was the cake for me!  I baked it today.   My first baking session since my return home from Canada.

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake



And what a beautiful cake it was to celebrate my homecoming with . . . not to mention the beginning of Strawberry season.   There is nothing which tastes finer on earth than seasonal English Strawberries!

 Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Beautiful ripe, sweet and delicious strawberries . . . there are nothing which tastes better than the English berry.   Ok, so I am a tiny bit biased on that . . . but oh my . . . that beautiful scent . . . that sweet flavour . . . that taste, all sweet and warm from the sun.  Heavenly Bliss . . .

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Now pop all of that English strawberry bliss between layers of a beautiful sponge . . .  be-speckled with toasted poppy seed crunch . . . and brushed with a delicately orange flavoured sugar syrup whilst still warm. . . .

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

But . . . that's not all . . . NOW add several layers of a slightly orange flavoured and beaten creme fraiche and Greek yogurt cream filling . . . gorgeous . . . delicately rich . . . just a teensie bit decadent . . .

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Garnished with a few sweet berries and a few crunchy poppy seed sprinkles,  has there ever been anything prettier, tastier, or more DECADANTLY scrumptious????

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Has there ever been anything more beautifully presented or representative of all the gloriousness that an English Strawberry season has to offer its enthusiasts???

  Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

I think NOT!   Wise choice indeed.   Enjoy!  We surely did.
I think this will be an annual thing.  And why not . . . thanks Good Food!

Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

*Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake*
Makes one 8 inch cake
Serves 10 to 12
Printable Recipe

A deliciously different cake to celebrate fresh English Strawberry season!
For the cake:
3 TBS poppy seeds
200g unsalted butter, melted (14 TBS)
225g of plain flour (2 1/4 cup)
1 tsp baking powder
4 large free range eggs, at room temperature
225g golden caster sugar (1 cup plus 3 TBS)
1 tsp vanilla
For the syrup:
the zest and juice of one large orange
50g golden caster sugar (1/4 cup plus 1 TBS)
1 TBS orange liqueur (optional)
To Fill:
170g full fat Greek yoghurt (3/4 cup)
500ml full fat creme fraiche (2 cups)
50g golden caster sugar (1/4 cup plus 1 TBS)
12 ounces fresh berries, washed and sliced
1 TBS poppy seeds

 Strawberry & Poppy Seed Cake

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.   Butter and line 2 8-inch round cake tins.  Set aside.
Dry fry the poppy seeds in a skillet over low heat until they become aromatic.  Set aside to cool.   Beat the eggs along with the sugar on high speed until it is light and lemon coloured and frothy.  Sift together the flour and baking powder.   Whisk the butter and vanilla into the egg mixture.   Fold the flour mixture in with a metal spoon.   Stir in the poppy seeds.   Divide between the prepared pans.  Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched.   Remove from the oven.  Cool in the pans for ten minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  When cold, cut each cake round carefully into two layers horizontally.
Measure the ingredients for the syrup into a microwaveable bowl.  Heat in the microwave for about 1 minute until the sugar dissolves.   Set aside.
Beat the yoghurt, creme fraiche and sugar together until the mixture is thick and spreadable.
Place one cake layer on a plate.  Brush with some of the warm syrup.  Top with sliced berries.  Top with a portion of the cream mixture.   Place another cake layer on top.  Brush with syrup and repeat.   Repeat once more so that you have three layers of berries and cream.  Brush the inside of the final layer with the remaining syrup.  Invert on top of the cake and  cover with the remainder of the cream.   Garnish with a few berries and sprinkle with poppy seeds.  Allow to sit for half an hour before serving.   Cut into slices to serve.


5 comments

  1. This is really a beautiful cake!
    I'll have to try it as soon as possible as strawberries are towards the end now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've made it home safe and sound, Marie. I've enjoyed your re-posts (Your daughter was a beautiful bride) and some recipes I missed the first go around. Thanks for so faithfully keeping the blog exciting even while you were away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Better than strawberry shortcake. More sophisticated than strawberry triffle. Love it. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just beautiful. I think the Pioneer Woman copied you, but her cake was chocolate. I love poppy seed cakes and muffins. Thanks for sharing.

    I'd love it if you brought this over to What'd You Do This Weekend? to share. www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda
    Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!