Tuna Casserole (All natural ingredients)

Wednesday 20 November 2013


  photo SAM_1940_zps4c8c8f49.jpg

I am not overly fond of oily fishes, except for salmon and tuna . . . and although the fresh is best, I always have tins of those fishes in the larder.  They come in really handy for casseroles and sandwiches, salads, etc.

 photo SAM_1941_zpsf871cda9.jpg

Tuna Casserole is something which I have always loved . . . but I have never been overly fond of using too many processed ingredients in making it, like tinned soup, etc.  I like to make my own sauce and it's really not that hard to make a sauce from scratch and tastes so much better.

 photo SAM_1942_zpsdbec3b67.jpg

I remember an old Italian woman telling me one time when I was in the grocery store buying tuna that I should only ever buy Albacore tuna.   She said the other stuff was garbage.  This was a very long time ago as I was a very young wife and mom at the time.  Since then I have only ever bought the Albacore.  I figure it an old Italian woman thought it was the best then it probably was the best.

 photo SAM_1945_zps2a770e16.jpg

I know it does come at a premium price, but I think somethings are worth paying a bit more for them.  It also tastes a LOT better than the cheap stuff . . . and like the L'Oreal product commercials say . . . I'm worth it!

 photo SAM_1947_zpsbb1d447f.jpg

This has a delicious creamy sauce, flavoured with cream and cheddar cheeses along with sauteed fresh mushrooms, onions, garlic and green peppers . . .  crunch buttery cracker crumbs and cheese on top . . . peas . . . noodles and the tuna. 

 photo SAM_1953_zps5d441b44.jpg


It's really a nice casserole that we both enjoy.  Yes . . . even the so called pasta hater.  I like to serve some vegetables or a salad on the side.  I hope you will give it a go and that you enjoy it as much as we do!

 photo SAM_1939_zpsebdf1b70.jpg


*Tuna Casserole*
Serves 4
A delicious casserole which does not use tinned soup.  You make the sauce from scratch.  It makes a big difference.  Fabulous!

1 small punnet of button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
(about 1 cup)
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 small onion, peeled and minced
1/2 medium green pepper, trimmed and chopped
(You can chop the whole thing and freeze half of it.  That's what I do.)
1/2 pound of flat pasta (I used taggliatelle, but you can use any flat noodle)
3 TBS butter
2 TBS flour
280ml of milk (about 1 1/4 cups)
125g of cream cheese (4 ounces)
1 tin of tuna, undrained
(I use the solid albacore in brine)
a mug full of frozen peas, thawed
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
120g of strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
2 TBS finely grated Parmesan Cheese
crumbled buttered cracker crumbs

Melt 1 TBS of the butter in a large skillet.   Add the mushrooms, onions and green pepper.  Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds until fragrant.  Add the remaining butter.  Sprinkle the flour over top and stir to combine.  Add the milk slowly, stirring until you have a smooth and thick sauce.  Add the cream cheese, stirring until it melts.  Stir in half the cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.   Crumble in the tuna and it's brine.  Stir in the peas.  Set aside and keep warm.

 photo SAM_1951_zps5b22fb3e.jpg

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*f/ gas mark 5.  Cook the noodles according to the package directions.   Drain well and then stir the cooked noodles into the sauce.  Butter a shallow casserole dish and pour the mixture into it.  

 photo SAM_1948_zpse3d6f00c.jpg

Sprinkle with the remainder of the grated cheddar cheese.  Scatter the crumbs over top along with the Parmesan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until heated through and golden.


12 comments

  1. good old fashioned comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuna casserole is something I could never get use to. I guess cause my Mom never made it.

    So the only way we like tuna is on a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramona you have to try it. I am sure you would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both tuna and salmon casseroles and this one sounds delicious. I generally serve mine with rice, so I'll have to try noodles.

    I did smile at your comment about using ½ green pepper: You can chop the whole thing and freeze half of it. That's what I do. I was thinking that you could chop all of it and eat the other half while you cook. That's what I do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well guess what's for Supper to night.Yep Tuna casserole.Amanda is like Todd she don't care for posada.I have a harder time eating it now, so cook it a little longer. TY.4 sharing.oooxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marie, thought I'd reply up in this newest thread so you would see it. I read lots of blogs on blogspot that use a graphic background, but have their articles on solid color background and haven't had a problem viewing them. I checked all my preferences in firefox, but nothing has changed, and there isn't anything that I could have altered that would have caused your html or other code to display differently. I know this problem has been occuring for a few months. I know I never had any problem viewing your text prior to that. Thanks for trying though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really am sorry MM. I don't know what to say. I paid a lot of money for this set up and I've taken great pains to sort it so that everyone can see it properly. I am so sorry that you cannot. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This looks so fabulous! The search that brought up your recipe was for a natural tuna casserole. The recipe has not been made but will certainly NOT disappoint! The canned soups have been off the grocery list for a couple of years now, but natural soups and stews and cream based dishes still grace the table. Your recipe will now join the repertoire! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment Julie! I really appreciate it and I hope you like the casserole!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this one for dinner tonight. I was looking for some lovely comfort food as we go into the cold, dark time of the year and really what could be more homely, cosy and comforting as a delicious tuna casserole. I always looked forward to this meal when I was growing up and things have not changed.

    This was easy to put together and came out of the oven bubbling hot and fragrant. I served mine with a mix of steamed veggies. Thumbs up all around :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you enjoyed this Marie. This is the perfect Friday comfort fish dish! You make me happy every time I see a comment from you pop up. SO far, so good! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!