Apricot & Almond Breakfast Cake

Saturday 18 October 2014


  photo SAM_7687_zpsea3e81b4.jpg


Oh, I do love the weekend.  I know that I don't work outside the home anymore, but that doesn't mean that my Saturdays and Sundays are not still special to me in the way that they always were.   I still use the weekends to relax and kick back . . .  and to bake and do all the things that I enjoy but don't have time to do during the week.  I don't know how I ever managed to get everything done that I did when I was working full time . . .  because my time seems to evaporate like water these days!  Anyways, I suppose what I am trying to say and saying very badly is . . .  I love baking special things at the weekend!



  photo SAM_7681_zps07dded8e.jpg


I know I do bake other things earlier in the week, but at the weekend I like to pull out all the stops and do something really special like this lovely Almond and Apricot Breakfast Cake.   This is one gorgeous cake and you will be surprised when I tell you how very simple it is!

 photo SAM_7682_zpsc3a8d3f7.jpg

Bundt cakes always look extraordinary anyways . . .  but this one is really special in a unique way! Not only is it moist and rich  . . .  but it  has a lovely soft fruit and nut layer running right  through the middle.  It may look  complicated and you may wonder how on earth I got it there, but trust me when I say it's easy peasy lemon squeasy.

 photo SAM_7683_zps8eaaefef.jpg

The batter uses plain yogurt which makes for a beautiful crumb and moistness.  It's dense and light at the same time and it doesn't matter if you use no fat yogurt or full fat yogurt.  Today I used the no fat Greek yoghurt and it turned out just as beautiful as if I had used the other!!

 photo SAM_7690_zps7c554fd9.jpg

You put half of the batter into the pan and then you lay a ribbon of flaked almonds all the way around the circumference of the cake in a circle in the middle of the batter, taking care not to touch the edges.   Then you lay a ribbon of apricot preserves around the circumference on top of the almonds in the same way, again making sure it doesn't touch the edges.  It will sink a bit when it bakes, so do make sure you have a nice layer of batter on the bottom first.

 photo SAM_7685_zps43f03e3e.jpg

It's then topped with the remaining batter and baked.   I find the easiest way to do this and keep the preserves in the centre where you want it, is to lay a ribbon of batter on the outer edge of the preserves keeping it away from the side of the pan, and to lay another ribbon of batter along the inner edge, and then a ribbon of batter over top.  Once you have it all in you can smooth it over and cover it completely and you will note that there isn't any preserves touching the pan at all.

  photo SAM_7694_zps2bf54259.jpg

In any case I do hope you will take the opportunity to make this cake this weekend and that you will enjoy it, for what are weekends for if not to lay around and eat cake?  Whatcha waiting for?   Get your bake on and get baking!

 photo SAM_7684_zpse2f9c001.jpg


*Almond and Apricot Breakfast Cake*
Makes 16 servings   

A delightful cake to serve at the weekend with your morning cuppa or brunch.  Tender rich cake reminiscent of a pound cake, but filled with flaked almonds and apricot preserves.  

280g plain flour (2 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
225g of butter (1 cup)
385g of granulated sugar (2 cups)
3 large free range eggs
120g of plain yogurt (1 cup) (can use sour cream)
1 tsp almond extract
130g of flaked almonds (3/4 cup)
170g of apricot preserves (3/4 cup)
icing sugar to dust (optional)  


Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter and flour a bundt pan.   Set aside.  


Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Beat in the yoghurt/ sour cream and almond extract.   Beat in the flour mixture gradually until combined thoroughly.  Spread half of the batter in the bundt pan.   Sprinkle with half of the almonds.   Spread the preserves over the almonds, leaving a 1/2 inch margin all the way around the edges.   Spread the remaining batter over top.  (I spoon it around the outer edge first, and then the inner edge and then spread the two together to cover the preserves.  It's easy that way and covers all the jam without pushing it to touch the edges of the pan.  Sprinkle with the remainder of the almonds.  Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, until risen, golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched.    

Leave to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.  Invert onto a serving plate.  Dust with icing sugar prior to serving if desired.



3 comments

  1. Marie,
    I can't believe you have put this recipe on today. I have just bought a Bundt cake tin this week and was wondering what to put in it. You must be shadowing me around the shops. lol I have all the ingredients in too. Magic!I wonder if I boil and pulp my apricots in some fruit juice if that would work instead of the preserve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie..I love the look of bundts too..just made an apple one..
    I love the idea of preserves here..anything could work.I love a cup of tea and a slice of something like this..and yet I am not a sweet person..we know Jacques is though:)
    I must admit I have fallen in love with not working outside the home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanie, I think it would work if you boiled it down until it was quite thick! Congrats on the pan! I love mine! xx

    I like being retired too Monique, although I do miss the money! I am sure Jacques would love this cake and yes, any type of preserve would work great! I wish I wasn't a sweet person. I think I'd look compltely different were I not! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!