Skillet Buffalo Chicken

Wednesday 19 November 2014

 photo SAM_8207_zpsbdd3af36.jpg

I have always had a love affair with Buffalo Chicken Wings!  I just love those flavours . . .  the spiciness of the hot sauce, the richness of the chicken . . .  the slight vinegar tang, the butter . . .  the blue cheese.  What's NOT to like about all that???  I can't find anything not to like either!


 photo SAM_8208_zps504f2cde.jpg

You know something???  This is the FIRST time I have ever cooked a pasta dish for the Toddster that he actually said afterwards . . . "That was really good."  I would call that a result!

  photo SAM_8209_zps28f7c369.jpg

Anyways, I got a similar recipe in my e-mail the other day from Betty Crocker and as soon as I saw it I knew that this was something I had to make.   Of course I had to make a few adaptions for over here due to a difference in ingredients, but I am so used to doing that now, it's not a problem.

 photo SAM_8211_zps7315f1e6.jpg

The major change I made was to add some water to the recipe.  Our tinned tomatoes here are in really thick tomato juice, not watery like at home, so I knew I would need more liquid than the original recipe.  We also don't have the same type of lasagna noodles.

 photo SAM_8220_zpsbab2d5fe.jpg

Our lasagna noodles are flat and very thin . . .  also quite short. Not a ruffle in sight.  I wasn't sure how to use ours.  We do however have Malfalda noodles, which is like little miniature Lasagna noodles, and so I just used a cup of those.   It worked a charm.  

 photo SAM_8212_zps7bfe3bc7.jpg

If you are fond of skillet suppers where you can just bang everything into one skillet, then this recipe is for you.  If you are fond of Buffalo Chicken Wings, then this recipe is for you.   Do add the blue cheese at the end.  It adds such a wonderful touch!

 photo SAM_8226_zps02feb578.jpg


*Skillet Buffalo Chicken Pasta*
Serves 4

This dish may not be so pretty to look at, but it's abolutely delicious!  Serve it with lots of crusty bread to mop up all of that luciousness!  It's an economical way to make two chicken breasts and a bit of pasta go a long way!  You just got to love a one pan supper!  

2 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and minced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts trimmed and chopped
2 (400g) tins of diced plum tomatoes, undrained (2 14.5 ounce)
1/2 tin of water
78 ml of Buffalo Wing sauce (1/3 cup)
(I used Franks)
1 TBS butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
181g of grated mozarella cheese, divided (1 1/2 cups)
115g of malfalda noodles (small ruffly pasta, 1 cup)
120g of ricotta cheese (1/2 cup)
90g of grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
crumbled blue cheese (optional)   


 photo SAM_8218_zps6e97472d.jpg   


Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add the onion.  Cook until soft without colouring.   Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until quite fragrant.  Add the chicken.   Cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through.   Add the tomatoes, water, buffalo wing sauce, butter, salt, pepper and half of the mozarella cheese.   Bring to the boil then stir in the pasta.  Cover and cook over very low heat for about 20 minutes, until the pasta is tender.   Uncover and stir in the ricotta cheese, the remaining mozarella and the Parmesan cheese.  Simmer a couple of minutes to heat through.   


 photo SAM_8215_zpsff5f0980.jpg  

Preheat the grill.  Pop the pan under the grill and broil until lightly golden brown.   Sprinkle blue cheese over top if using and serve.  I like to spoon it out and allow individuals to add their own cheese as blue cheese it not to everyone's taste.  Personally, I love it.

3 comments

  1. This dish look really good dear:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was dinner tonight, with garlic bread and a salad on the side. I did not have any Buffalo Wing sauce (and truth be known, I'd never ever heard of it) but I did a substitute using butter, hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire and garlic. Everything else I had on hand, so it was easy to make and even easier to eat. I love mafalda pasta as it lends itself to so many dishes - chicken, pasta, spicy sauce and cheese - what is not to love. It's a great weeknight meal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!