Seasoned Rice Pilaf

Wednesday 18 March 2015

 photo DSCN09651_zpsfekwcx0j.jpg

Rice wasn't something we ate a lot of when I was growing up.  My brother wouldn't eat it at all, my mother didn't like it either and when she did cook it, it was always minute rice, which is a sort of instant rice product they have in North America.  Not exactly nutritionally sound    . . . but we did not know that then.  She always made it taste good when she did make it.  She would chop up celery and onion and add some herbs . . .  usually oregano.  That was her favourite add in . . .

  photo DSCN0966_zpstgxl5tj7.jpg

Interestingly enough my brother married a Japanese Canadian and he eats plenty of rice now!  Funny how that goes.    Rice is something I like to cook every now and then.  This recipe here today is a pilaf I have been making for years.  I used to use fine noodles in it instead of the orzo, but now I use orzo, and that works just fine, maybe even better.

 photo DSCN0967_zpsigzrgkoc.jpg

It's nice to have some side dish recipes up your sleeve that you can pull out every now and then to make a change from potatoes.   There are a lot of ready cooked rices on the market today, but it really doesn't take that long to cook your own from scratch . . .

 photo DSCN0968_zps3lyjlqud.jpg

This recipe yields quite a bit of rice.  I divide the finished dish up into lots and freeze it for a later date so we have almost instant rice in the freezer.  It doesn't take long to thaw out.   It has a lovely flavour from the herbs and seasonings.  We quite like it.  In fact . . . I could quite happily sit down and eat just a bowl of this and nothing else!

 photo DSCN0965_zpssahwepu9.jpg


*Seasoned Rice Pilaf*
Serves 4 to 6
 

A delicious, cheap and easy side dish.   Tasty tasty! 
 

65g of butter (1/r cup)
420g of uncooled long grain rice (2 cups)
50g of uncooked orzo pasta (1/4 cup)
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
560ml of chicken broth (2 1/2 cups)
450ml of water (2 cups) 
 

In a large skillet with a lid, melt the butter until it begins to foam.   Add the rice and orzo, stirring to coat.   Cook, stirring frequently over medium heat until the orzo begins to brown lightly.  Stir in the seasonings and spices.  Add the broth and water.   Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.   Cook for about 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.   Serve hot.




1 comment

  1. I like making a variation of this too:)
    Remember the rice in a can w/ seasoning?:)I forget the name!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!