A Trio of Delicious Pastas

Tuesday 3 November 2015

 photo 1125323_zpsdolnm2c1.jpeg

I confess I am a real pasta lover.   Todd, not so much . . .  but I adore pasta in any way shape or form.  I do confess that more often than not I eat pasta shapes.  I also really love Gnocchi, and I have used it alot.   I was recently given the opportunity to try some pasta from a Company called Dell' UGO and I was sent three different types to test.  Two filled and one gnocchi.   I cooked them all at the weekend and here is what I thought!

 photo Pack-shot-pumpkin-chorizo-ravioli_zpsipxqu3d1.jpg
  
First up was their Roasted Pumpkin & Chorizo Ravioli.   Let  me tell you . . . this is not Chef Boy Ar Dee!! This is real pasta and it was delicious.

 photo Pumpkin-Chorizo-smaller_zpso92laiox.jpg

It had a generous filling of sweet roasted pumpkin, along with rich chorizo sausage and creamy mozzarella cheese, infused with a hint of chilli.   All of this wrapped up in a free range egg parcel of tasty pasta.

  photo DSCN3934_zps7ch7pokl.jpg

The packaging is very attractive, both in design and colour.  Plus the pasta is presented in a hard plastic case which means it isn't all banged up or crushed.  It also wasn't all stuck together, which has been my experience with a lot of fresh filled pasta which I have bought in recent years.

 photo DSCN3933_zpscs2oy40s.jpg

Also, printed on the back of the package, along with the cooking instructions, there was a suggested serving idea.

 photo DSCN3933_zpscs2oy40s.jpg

 And then inside there were a further two simple delicious recipes, one of which I am showing you today, along with some tasty Tips and facts!  Fun, fun packaging!  The plastic tray is also great for saving and using for other things, which they also give you ideas for.  (I am going to use them to put in cookies when I bake them to give away.)

 photo DSCN3928_zpsnuj3h653.jpg

*Pumpkin and Chorizo Ravioli with a Leek, Chilli and Lemon Zest Butter*
Serves 2


Nice, buttery, spicy with a light taste of lemon.


1 package of fresh ravioli (two serving size)
half a leek, roughly chopped
half a red chili, deseeded, finely chopped
the juice of half a lemon
the zest of 1/4 a lemon
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
40g of butter (3 TBS)
a small handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped


 photo DSCN3929_zpsunsezidc.jpg

Put your pasta on to boil.   Melt the butter in a skillet along with the chilli, garlic and leek.  Saute for several minutes over medium heat.  Remove and add the parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice.   Stir into your cooked pasta and serve.

 photo 247320011_0_640x640_zpszpz01gbe.jpg

They also sent me a package of their fresh Goat's Cheese & Beetroot Fiorelli. 

  photo beets_zpsu6wikbw3.jpg

This delicious pasta was created for  and is being sold to show Dell' UGO's support for people who are affected by breast cancer, with 10p from every package sold being donated to Breast Cancer Care.

 photo DSCN38401_zpscptvoqja.jpg

Delicate free range egg pasta parcels filled with Goat's Cheese and Tasty Beetroot which has been marinated in a pomegranate and mint relish.

 photo DSCN3841_zpsovtbkwe9.jpg

I have to say I really enjoyed this.  I love, LOVE both Goat's cheese and Beetroot, so this was a real winning combination.  Just like the ravioli, it had lovely packaging with the same hard recyclable plastic tray, built to protect the pasta from being bashed about.

 photo DSCN3842_zpsymiptetk.jpg

The same cooking instructions and tips for serving on the outside of the package, along with two delicious collectable recipes on the inside of the package, along with more Top Tips and Facts.

  photo DSCN3843_zpsmbmaysvh.jpg

I chose to make the Spinach and Chive Pesto, and it was absolutely delicious.   (Very colourful too!)

 photo DSCN3840_zpsgabac2xi.jpg

 *Goat's Cheese and Beetroot with Spinach and Chive Pesto*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe


This pesto sauce is a delicious sauce, that would go well with just about any pasta.

250g of fiorelli (1/2 pound)
50g baby spinach (about 2 cups)
1/2 bunch fresh chives
100ml of olive oil (1/3 cup)
20g of Parmesan Cheese (1/4 cup)
1 clove of garlic, peeled
20g toasted pine nuts (about 2 TBS)

 photo DSCN3848_zpsux6t6evt.jpg

Heat a pan of boiling water.   Quickly dip in the chives and spinach and then remove after a few seconds so that they retain their crisp green colour.   Cool slightly.  Put into a blender along with the olive oil, cheese, pine nuts and garlic.  Blend to a coarse paste.  Heat another pan of lightly salted water and cook the pasta according to the package directions.   Drain well and then return to the pan.  Toss with the pesto and warm through.  Serve in heated bowls.

  photo 277502011_0_640x640_zpsr6qxsdz5.jpg

I was also sent a package of Dell' UGO Fresh Pumpkin Gnocchi.  I quite simply adore Gnocchi.  I have never tried any kinds but plain gnocchi before, but I can tell you after tasting this I will be trying other types more often!

 photo DSCN3836_zpstjpirizk.jpg

Delicate pillows of freshly steamed potato, pumpkin and free range egg . .  . this was delicious!  It was light and not heavy, with the most delicate pumpkin flavour!

  photo DSCN3835_zpsfpgzfjhd.jpg

Pumpkin and sage go very well together and I know sage is a real favourite herb used in Italian cooking and so I created a browned butter and crispy sage sauce to go with this.

 photo DSCN3834_zps0quvgpiw.jpg

I kind of hesitate to really call it a sauce actually . . .  because it is just basically browned butter with frizzled sage leaves and a touch of lemon juice.

  photo DSCN3833_zps5topbnxw.jpg

But it went absolutely perfectly with this beautiful pumpkin gnocchi and I have to say out of the three, this was my very favourite dish of all!  I am already craving it again . . .  so I guess I'll  just have to go out and buy me some of this tasty gnocchi!

 photo DSCN38271_zpsedooikqq.jpg

*Pumpkin Gnocchi with a Brown Butter and Sage Sauce*
Serves 4
Rich and herbyDelicious.  


60g of butter (1/4 cup)
a handful of sage leaves
350g of fresh pumpkin gnocchi (about 1/2 pound) (cooked and drained)
1 TBS lemon juice


 photo DSCN3830_zpsjt1geicx.jpg

Melt the butter in a skillet.   Cook just until it begins to brown.   Add the sage and fry until crisp.   Add the gnocchi and toss together to coat.  Cook for several minutes, until the gnocchi begin to brown.   Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, toss together and serve.

 photo DSCN3829_zpsfaxy8ubq.jpg

 Dell' UGO Pasta is the longest established fresh pasta in the UK, having come about when the Paul Ugo's grandfather came over to the UK from Italy in 1929.  Since that time the company has gone from strength to strength to develop award winning fresh pastas and products.   Theirs is truly a quality product and I would not hesitate to buy it.

Do check out their website here, where you can learn more about their origins and products.  They not only produce a lovely line of Filled Pastas, but also Gnocchi, Arancini,  a Gluten Free Range and a range of Foccaccia.    They also have a delicious Recipe Section which they add to all the time.  Their pasta products  can be purchased at Waitrose and Costco, online via Ocado and Waitrose and the gluten free products are available via Whole Foods Market.

Follow them on Facebook
Follow them on Twitter 
Follow them on Instagram  

Many  thanks to Dell' UGO for sending me these lovely pastas to try.  Do note that although I was sent the pasta free of charge, any and all opinions are my own.  I am altogether not surprised that this is an award winning pasta company. This is a quality product and something which I will certainly be buying in the future.

2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!