Cheesy Potatoes

Monday 21 March 2016

 photo DSCN4948_zps4zzt4klb.jpg

This is something which I made a long time ago and forgot to tell you about.  It is loosely based on something which my friend Kathy did in her crock pot, except I did it in the oven with parboiled potatoes, and I used cream instead of soup, etc.  It turned out fabulous!

 photo DSCN4949_zpsyyk01trm.jpg

I did try making it in a slow cooker once . . .  but the slow cooker I had worked on a burner type of system and it all burnt on the bottom, so I scratched that idea and did this my own way.

 photo DSCN4950_zpsfqg8qeyh.jpg

The original recipe was based on this one here.   Kathy had done it for a pot luck we Senior Missionaries had in Manchester.  It was really good and I wanted to make it at home.   Of course we don't get dry ranch salad dressing over here and so she had adapted it to her own way of doing things  . . .

 photo DSCN4951_zpsgqvwooej.jpg

And after my initial failure, I adapted it again to what I thought would work better for me, and this tasty dish is what I ended up with.  So good I could have eaten this and nothing else.  You could also add some herbs to the mix.  I would use parsley and thyme, maybe some sage or rosemary . . .  but not a lot.  Garlic would also be nice.

  photo DSCN4952_zpskrp1mqol.jpg

*Cheesy Potatoes*
serves 4 

I just kind of threw these together based on something someone told me.   They turned out great!  I love it when that happens. 

2 pounds of small new potatoes, parboiled until just tender
(allow to come to room temperature)
1 bunch of spring onions, chopped
1 cup of single cream (225ml)
180g of grated cheese (1 1/2 cups)
(I used a four cheese mix which had mozzarella, red leicester,
cheddar and jack cheese in it)
1 package of sliced ham, cut up (about 6 slices of ham)
salt and black pepper 


 photo DSCN4953_zpsn3ic1zny.jpg 

Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter a casserole dish. 


 photo DSCN4954_zpsboclkwa0.jpg 

Slice the potatoes into a bowl in thick slices.  Season lightly.  Add the cream, spring onions, ham and most of the cheese, reserving a small bit for later on.  Pour this mixture into the casserole dish.  Cover and bake in the heated oven for about 35 minutes.


  photo DSCN4956_zpskiecty0m.jpg


Uncover, sprinkle the remaining cheese over top and bang it back into the oven.  Bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.  Let stand for 5 minutes or so before serving.

 photo DSCN4958_zps6yjzoinh.jpg

Bon Appetit!

4 comments

  1. Oh my! Carbs and cheese ... a marriage made in heaven! Are you sure that we aren't twins? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Marie! Certainly taste wise ! Happy Easter! Xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!