Harvest Casserole

Tuesday 25 October 2016

 photo DSCN9444_zpswov7pdgp.jpg

This is a recipe I have had written down in my notebook for yonks and yonks.  Its really delicious.  Every so often I dust it off and we have it for a side dish with chicken or fish.  Harvest Casserole.  The original recipe calls for diced butternut squash, courgettes (zucchini) and swede (rutabaga).  A tasty combination.

 photo DSCN9446_zps99il5duu.jpg

I didn't have any courgettes or swede this last time I made it, so I just used the butternut squash, broccoli, carrots, peas, beans and cauliflower, making it up to the same weight as it would have been with the original vegetables.

 photo DSCN9447_zpsqult7hue.jpg

It turned out beautiful as always.  It's not really beautiful to look at.  I think my dish was a bit too deep actually.  It didn't show the casserole off to it's best.  But nevermind about the way it looks, it sure was tasty!  

 photo DSCN9448_zpsjjakddqj.jpg


*Harvest Casserole*
Serves 5 - 6
A delicious vegetable casserole that goes down really well this time of year. Simple and yet elegant.  

2 1/2 cups diced butternut squash, swede (rutabaga) or courgettes (zucchini)
(1 medium squash, or rutabaga and about 5 courgettes)
2 stalks of celery, chopped (as well as the leaves)
2 large onions, peeled and diced
1 lump of butter
1 1/2 cups stock or water (355ml)
2 large free range eggs, beaten
salt and black pepper
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 cup bread or cracker crumbs (60g)
1 cup grated cheese (120g)
butter to dot 
 photo DSCN9449_zps49evcg9a.jpg

Place all of the vegetables into a saucepan with the butter and water or stock.   Bring to the boil and then cook for about 5 minutes.   Drain slightly and cool.  Stir in the beaten eggs and half of the bread crumbs, along with the seasoning and herbs.  Pour into a buttered 1 quart/litre casserole dish.  Mix together the remaining bread crumbs and the cheese.  Sprinkle over top of the vegetables.  Dot with butter.


Bake at 350*F/180*C/ gas mark 4 for half an hour to 45 minutes.

 photo DSCN9450_zpslm0k8otd.jpg

I do so hope you will try this.  I think you will agree with me that it is really delicious.  In fact I could eat a whole plate of this and nothing else.  Bon Appetit!

10 comments

  1. I'm sure I would love this too! xo
    Valerie H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its gorgeous Val and the leftovers are even tastier! xo

      Delete
  2. Cela me tente beaucoup!
    une sympathique recette,merci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Yonks and yonks:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick question. Because you wrote bread or cracker crumbs am I right in assuming that you the mean dried bread crumbs that you buy from the store, rather than fresh bread crumbs that you make from fresh bread?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used both Marie. One is crisper than the other. Both are delicious. I don't actually think it matters what you put on, its just tasty tasty no matter what! Sorry for the late response. I was tied up yesterday and never actually got online to see this then! Hope I am forgiven Marie! xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thankyou so much for the response. I'm only sorry that I always seem to ask questions, but it's because I want to get it right in my mind before I make it. I personally like fresh breadcrumbs, so I think I'll go with those.

      Of course you are forgiven for having a life outside of the blogging world :) I'm grateful that you take the time to share your knowledge and your wonderful recipes with us all. ♥

      Delete
    3. Todd's been having cancer investigations and so I have been back and forth to the hospital with him. Fingers crossed now and waiting for results. I personally like fresh bread crumbs as well! But then I also like cracker crumbs. It all depends on waht kind of a mood I am in! Hope you enjoy it dear friend! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!