Mock Lasagne Casserole

Tuesday 18 April 2017


This recipe today is one of those economical dishes that is not only quick and easy to make but which are real family pleasers.  The original recipe comes from a cookery book that I have had since I was seventeen years old and since I am now sixty-one, that is a very long time! This is truly a recipe which has stood the test of time!


My last year in High School there was an offer in a magazine to purchase the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook library.  You would get one book a month, which would arrive via the post, which you could then pay for at a fair price by return post.  I collected all of the volumes.


This one comes from the volume entitled, "Good Food on a Budget."  I have adapted it a bit through the years by adding some oregano and onions to the sauce, and the way I layer it together. I like to have the cheese on the top.  In the original recipe they have the sauce on the top.


I have also cut down the servings of the recipe because there are only two of us now in this house and one of us is not a real pasta lover.   SO instead of serving 6 to 8, it now serves 3 to 4.


Other than that it is basically the same recipe as the original.  It is quick and simple to make and goes together in a flash.  It is also a dish which most people love.  With its hearty meat sauce and simple cheese filling/topping it is a real pleaser!  All you need on the side is a salad and some garlic bread if desired.


You will want to use a sausage in this that has plenty of flavour!  Over here I favour Cumberland Sausage because it is nice and peppery, but you can use whichever sausage meat you like.  A sweet italian would go very well.


 
*Mock Lasagne Casserole*
Serves 3 to 4
 
A smaller sized casserole for a smaller family.  Can easily be doubled. 

1/2 pound well flavoured sausages, skins discarded and meat crumbled
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
225ml tomato passatta (1 cup, tomato sauce)
60ml water (1/4 cup)
1/2 tsp each dried basil, dried oregano, onion powder, garlic granules
salt and black pepper to taste
100g dry macaroni (Uncooked, 1 cup)
175g cottage cheese (3/4 cup)
90g grated four cheese blend  

 
Brown the sausage meat and onion in a heavy bottomed skillet.  Drain fat off.  Add the tomato sauce, herbs, seasonings, etc. Stir in the water and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.  Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.  Drain well. 

Preheat the oven to 190*C/375*F/ gas mark 5.  Butter a small casserole dish. 

Layer in the ingredients as follows:  1/2 each macaroni, meat sauce, cottage cheese, four cheese blend and then repeat, ending with sheese.    Bake for half an hour.  Serve hot.



Because the passata/tomato sauce for this is such an integral part of the recipe, you will want to use one which has nice flavours.  I use Cirio and I know you must be tired of me saying this, but it is a well favoured Passata  made  with only the finest fresh Italian Tomatoes,ensuring that your dishes will have a full bodied and rich Italian flavour!  It also comes in a new PET bottle which means you can use as little or as much of it as you like, simply popping the lid back onto the bottle and refrigerating the rest for another day, which works well for this recipe which basically only uses 225ml/1 cup of  passata/tomato sauce. The PET bottles are also recyclable and unbreakable.  I used the Passata Classica for this recipe.


I really hope you will give this a go and that if you do your family really enjoys it.  Bon Appetit!

10 comments

  1. Yum! I love good old comfort food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Connie! Salad Days are coming, so I am getting in the comfort food while I can! xo

      Delete
  2. I love that it is a smaller quantity! Will make!:)You're so cute with the purchases you made so young..the last thing on my mind was a cookbbok..it's in your genes for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I ever wanted to do was take care of a family Monique! Cook, sew, clean and have lots of babies! I wanted to be The Waltons! I was always begging my mom to have another baby, but she wasn't up for that! Lol xo

      Delete
  3. I used this recipe yesterday with a few tweaks (I used chicken thigh sliced into strips instead of sausages and used cream cheese instead of cottage cheese). It was so delicious, the whole family thought so too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth I am so pleased that it was enjoyed! Your variations sound delicious! Thanks so much for sharing! xo

      Delete
  4. I have been searching for this very recipe. I think someone took my card. Could you send me the original? God bless you for having this! I was like you when I was younger collecting recipes. This is so good, people used to pay me to make it for them. Thank you for having this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you take the time to read through you will see that the recipe is right there in the post, along with a link to a printable recipe option. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much! I think I was so excited to find this very recipe, it just didn't click. 😉 I have just put this together and going to bake it now! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome! I hope you enjoy it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!